Caramelized Tofu and Thai Basil Stir-Fry
- Drain tofu; pat dry. Cut tofu into bite-size cubes. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook 15 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl combine 2 Tbsp. of the water, 1 Tbsp. of the soy sauce, and the brown sugar. Pour over tofu; cook over medium heat until tofu is coated and liquid is syrupy, gently stirring frequently. Remove from skillet.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl combine remaining 3 Tbsp. water and soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet. Add onion; cook and stir 1 minute. Add sweet pepper; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2 minutes more or until onion and pepper are crisp-tender. Push from center of skillet.
- Stir sauce; add to center of skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Gently stir in tofu and basil. Serve with sriracha sauce (if desired) and sprinkle with additional basil.
From the Test Kitchen
Thai basil is spicier than most sweet basil. If using sweet basil (or you just like a spicier stir-fry), stir in some chili paste (such as sambal oelek) or crushed red pepper to kick up the heat.
If desired, serve over cooked brown or white rice. You can purchase frozen cooked rice and heat it in the wok or skillet before making the stir-fry, or microwave it according to package directions.
Nutrition Facts (Caramelized Tofu and Thai Basil Stir-Fry)
- Per serving:
- 239 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 573 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.