Caramelized Onion and Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- For filling, in a large skillet melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add apple. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese and thyme. Spread in a shallow baking pan to cool quickly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in each chicken breast half by cutting horizontally through the thickest portion to, but not through, the opposite side. Spoon filling into pockets. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks.
- Place stuffed chicken breasts on a foil-lined baking sheet and freeze about 1 hour or until firm. Layer frozen chicken between sheets of waxed paper in a freezer container; seal and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw in a single layer in the refrigerator overnight. In a small bowl combine honey and vinegar; set aside.
- Heat a greased grill pan over medium heat. Add chicken; cook for 20 to 24 minutes or until chicken is done (165 degrees F), turning once halfway through cooking and brushing with honey mixture for the last 2 minutes of cooking.
From the Test Kitchen
Preheat broiler. Place chicken on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 20 to 24 minutes or until chicken is done (165 degrees F), turning once halfway through broiling and brushing with honey mixture for the last 2 minutes of broiling.
Nutrition Facts (Caramelized Onion and Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts)
- Per serving:
- 188 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 78 mg chol. ,
- 221 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.