Caramelized Banana Cream Pie
- For caramel sauce, combine brown sugar, half-and-half, butter, and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Place over medium-low heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until bubbly around the edges, whisking gently. Add the vanilla and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes more or until slightly thickened. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and chill up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before using.
- For tart shells, place cookie dough and flour in a bowl. Knead until combined. On a lightly floured surface, roll about half the dough at a time to 1/4-inch thick. Cut dough into 4 1/2-inch rounds using a fluted cutter, if desired. Press rounds into bottom and sides of 12, 4-inch pie or tart pans*. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown (dough will puff in pans, but fall during cooling). Cool completely on wire racks. Use a small sharp knife to loosen edges from pans; carefully remove from pans. Set aside until ready to assemble or store in airtight containers up to 2 days.
- For white chocolate cream, place white chocolate in a medium bowl; set aside. Combine egg yolks and granulated sugar in a separate bowl and whisk until pale in color, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan bring 1/2 cup whipping cream to simmering over medium heat. Slowly whisk the cream into the yolk mixture. Return to saucepan and stir until mixture coats the back of the spoon.
- Pour hot mixture through a fine mesh sieve placed over the bowl of chopped chocolate. Cover bowl with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until nearly smooth (some pieces of white chocolate may not completely melt). Cool for 1 hour. In a separate bowl whip remaining 1 1/2 cups cream to almost stiff peaks. Fold half of the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture to lighten and then fold this into the remaining cream. Cover and chill until set, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, slice bananas 1/4-inch thick and place in a medium bowl. Stir in the juice of one lemon and 1/4 cup of the caramel. Fill each tart shell with bananas, top with white chocolate cream, caramel sauce, and chocolate pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Jumbo muffin cups
If you do not have 4-inch pie or tart pans, use 12 jumbo muffin cups. Roll dough as directed and cut into 3 1/2-inch rounds. Press into bottom and halfway up sides of pans. Bake as directed.
There will be some extra cookie dough left over. Bake off as cookies, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (Caramelized Banana Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 911 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 17 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 140 mg chol. ,
- 737 mg sodium ,
- 117 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 89 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.