Caramel Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Line a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with plastic wrap or foil, extending the plastic wrap or foil over edges of dish; set aside. In a chilled medium bowl stir ice cream with a wooden spoon until softened. Stir in ginger. Spread ice cream mixture in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with toffee bits; press lightly into ice cream. Cover and freeze for 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups or lightly grease muffin cups; set aside. Prepare gingerbread mix according to package directions using the lukewarm water and egg. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups. Using the back of a spoon, smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Before serving, in a small saucepan heat caramel topping over medium-low heat until warm, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- Remove paper liners from cupcakes. Place cupcakes on dessert plates or in shallow bowls. Using the edges of the plastic wrap or foil, lift ice cream out of dish. Cut out twelve 2-inch squares of ice cream. (Save the leftover ice cream to eat later.) Place ice cream squares on top of cupcakes. Top with gingersnap pieces and drizzle with warm caramel topping. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
To make an orange-flavor caramel sauce, add 1/2 cup orange marmalade to the caramel topping before heating.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Gingerbread Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 653 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 149 mg chol. ,
- 472 mg sodium ,
- 87 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 66 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.