- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat brown sugar and butter over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Stir in eggs until well mixed. Stir in milk and vanilla. Stir in all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Spread batter in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with cashews.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are browned and a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Drizzle the top with the melted chocolate.** If necessary, stir to soften caramel topping. Drizzle the top with caramel topping. Cut into 16 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Splenda Brown Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1 cup packed brown sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: Same as above, except 145 calories, 18 g carb. (7 g sugar). Exchanges: 0 carb. Carb Choice: 1
**Test Kitchen Tip:
If desired, place melted chocolate in a resealable plastic bag. Snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. Squeeze the bag and drizzle the chocolate over the bars.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel-Cashew Blondies)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 110 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.