Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, potato, 1/3 cup butter, granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with the eggs. Beat with a mixer on low to medium 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl stir together 3/4 cup of the brown sugar, the 1/2 cup melted butter, and the corn syrup. Spread mixture in prepared pan. For filling, in a small bowl stir together apples, the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, and the apple pie spice.
- Roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread the 1/4 cup softened butter over dough and sprinkle with apple filling, leaving 1 inch unfilled along one of the long sides. Roll up rectangle, starting from the filled long side. Pinch dough to seal seams.
- Slice rolled rectangle into into 12 equal pieces. Arrange, cut side down, over melted butter-brown sugar mixture in pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden, covering with foil during the last 5 minutes, if needed, to prevent over-browning. Immediately invert rolls onto a serving platter (spoon any caramel mixture remaining in pan onto rolls). If desired, invert again before serving. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Scrub a 10-oz. unpeeled potato. Prick it all over with a fork. Microwave on high 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Halve potato and scoop pulp out of skin into a small bowl; discard skin. Mash potato pulp with a potato masher or mixer on low. Measure 1 cup mashed potato.
Prepare rolls as directed through Step 5, except do not let rise after shaping. Cover loosely with oiled waxed paper and plastic wrap. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Before baking let chilled rolls stand, covered, 30 minutes at room temperature. Uncover and bake as directed.
To use a 3-quart rectangular baking dish instead of a baking pan, lightly grease the dish. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 473 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 77 mg chol. ,
- 411 mg sodium ,
- 71 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 33 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.