Caramel Apple-Cherry Pie
- Prepare Piecrust. Divide pastry into 3 balls. Combine 2 to form one large ball. Wrap both balls and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- For Cranberry Compote, in a small saucepan combine cranberries, granulated sugar, orange juice, orange peel, and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until the cranberries begin to burst and mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Carefully stir in cherries. Remove from heat; cool.
- For Caramel Apple Filling, in a large bowl gently toss together apples, lemon juice, and lemon peel. In a small bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Sprinkle over apples; stir gently to coat.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add apple mixture. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add whipping cream and vanilla. Continue cooking, stirring often, until juices thicken and apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten the large pastry ball. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle 13 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with a flat-edge rim. Trim pastry 1-inch beyond pie plate edge. Turn edges under, pressing down on rim. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Line dough with parchment; fill to top with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 20 minutes. Remove parchment and weights; bake 2 to 3 minutes more or until lightly golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the remaining ball to 1/8 inch thick. Using 1 1/2- to 2-inch leaf or acorn cookie cutters, stamp out shapes; transfer to a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon one-third of the cranberry mixture into the bottom of the prebaked crust. Layer half the apple mixture on top of the cranberries. Spoon another third of the cranberry mixture on top of the apples in random dollops. Spoon over remaining apples. Spoon remaining cranberry mixture on top in random dollops, leaving pockets of apple visible on top (placing the cranberry mixture in little pockets keeps the apples from being dyed red). Leave the flat edge of the crust free from filling.
- Whisk together egg and 2 Tbsp. water; gently brush on edge of crust. Place some of the cutouts on the edge, pressing gently to adhere. Place remaining cutouts on top of filling; brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place a foil-lined baking sheet on rack below pie in oven to catch any dripping. Bake 40 minutes. Cover edges with foil; bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until crust is deep golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack at least 3 hours before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
*If using frozen cherries, place cherries on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Let stand for 1 hour or until thawed.
The cranberry filling, apple filling and pastry can be made up to 1 day ahead. Let the two filling stand at room temperature about 1 hour before assembling the pie.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, pulse together all-purpose flour, butter, sugar, and salt until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. In a small bowl whisk together ice-cold water (or 1/4 cup each vodka* and water) and lemon juice. Slowly add to the flour mixture, pulsing until dough just comes together. Squeeze a small piece of dough between your thumb and index finger to make sure it holds its shape. Follow pie recipe for dividing and refrigerating dough. *Alcohol forms less gluten (the protein in flour that can create tough dough) than water, so using half flavorless vodka will yield tender, easy-to-roll dough and an extra flaky crust.
From the Test Kitchen
For more control over the crimping, you can substitute 4 tablespoons of the butter with very cold vegetable shortening.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Apple-Cherry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 568 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 82 mg chol. ,
- 385 mg sodium ,
- 88 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 59 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.