Caramel Apple Butter
- Quarter and core unpeeled apples. In an 8- to 10-quart heavy pot combine apples and apple cider. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are very tender, stirring frequently.
- Press apple mixture through a food mill or sieve into a large bowl. Discard peels and seeds. Measure 7 1/2 cups pulp; return to pot. (If you have leftover apple mixture, chill it and serve it as applesauce.)
- Stir in brown sugar, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over very low heat for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until mixture is very thick and mounds on a spoon, stirring frequently.
- Ladle hot apple butter into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Place pot of apple butter in a sink filled with ice water; stir mixture to cool. Ladle apple butter into wide-mouth freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and label. Freeze for up to 10 months. Apple butter may darken slightly with freezing.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Apple Butter)
- Per serving:
- 28 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 0 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.