Caprese Surprise Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, onion, milk, salt, and black pepper. Add sausage and ground beef; mix well.
- Wrap prosciutto strips around olives, bocconcini, and/or pepperoncini. Shape meat mixture around the wrapped fillings to form 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a shallow baking pan, lined with foil. Bake about 30 minutes or until done (160 degrees F). Drain off fat.
- Transfer meatballs to a serving platter. Top with marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, and pesto to resemble the Italian flag.
From the Test Kitchen
Sweet, Hot, and Sour Meatballs:
Prepare as directed in Step 1, except substitute bulk pork sausage for the Italian sausage and decrease milk to 1/4 cup. Omit prosciutto, olives, marinara, Alfredo, and pesto. Shape meat mixture into about forty-eight 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch meatballs and bake as directed. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan stir together 3/4 cup apple jelly, 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard, 1/3 cup whiskey or apple juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, and a few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir until jelly is melted and mixture is bubbly. Gently stir in meatballs. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and meatballs are coated. Makes about 48 meatballs.
Nutrition Facts per meatball: 85 cal, 5 total fat (2 sat. fat), 22 chol, 151 sodium, 5 carb, 0 fiber, 3 pro.
Prepare as directed in Step 1, except substitute finely crushed tortilla chips for the bread crumbs, substitute uncooked chorizo sausage for the Italian sausage, and decrease milk to 1/4 cup. Omit prosciutto, olives, marinara, Alfredo, and pesto. Shape meat mixture into about forty-eight 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch meatballs and bake as directed. Meanwhile, prepare sauce as directed for Sweet, Hot, and Sour Meatballs, except substitute tequila for the whiskey and lime juice for the Worcestershire sauce. Makes about 48 meatballs.
Nutrition Facts per meatball: 90 calories, 4 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 0% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 182 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 2% iron
Nutrition Facts (Caprese Surprise Meatballs)
- Per serving:
- 113 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 311 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.