- Sprinkle powdered sugar on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper; set aside. In a small saucepan melt semisweet chocolate pieces and butter over low heat; stir constantly.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the powdered sugar; stir in cream and vanilla. Add 3/4 cup of the powdered sugar; stir until well combined. If necessary, add a few drops additional cream to make mixture pliable. Turn onto prepared baking sheet; pat into a 9x6-inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle the chocolate rectangle with the candied fruits. Press fruits lightly into chocolate mixture; set mixture aside.
- Place the slivered almonds in a blender container or a food processor bowl; cover and blend until finely ground. In a small mixer bowl combine ground almonds, 3/4 cup of the powdered sugar, egg white, and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined. Add the remaining 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar; beat on low speed until smooth.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on a piece of waxed paper. Turn almond mixture onto the waxed paper; cover with a second piece of waxed paper. Roll mixture into a 9x6-inch rectangle. Remove top piece of paper; invert almond mixture onto candied fruits. Remove waxed paper. Lightly press layers together. Chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Cut candy lengthwise into eight 3/4-inch strips. Cut diagonally across strips at 3/4-inch intervals, forming about 1-1/2 x 3/4-inch diamond-shape pieces. Melt dipping chocolate or confectioners coating. Dip pieces into melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off pieces. Let stand until dry. Store tightly covered in a cool, dry place. Makes about 80 pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 3 days ahead, prepare diamonds. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Three-Layer Diamonds)
- Per serving:
- 73 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 4 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb.