- Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, cream, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take 6 to 8 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until candy thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in the vanilla. Quickly pour slightly more than half of the caramel mixture into the prepared pan. Stir the melted and cooled chocolate into the remaining caramel mixture in the saucepan. Pour chocolate mixture over the caramel mixture in the baking pan. Gently zigzag a narrow metal spatula through mixtures to swirl.
- When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of the pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes 81 pieces or about 2 pounds.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead prepare caramels. Store in a cool dry place in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (Marbled Caramels)
- Per serving:
- 63 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 34 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb.