- Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan; set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter; add sugar, water, and corn syrup. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Clip candy thermometer to side of pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degrees F, soft crack stage. (Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface.) Reaching 290 degrees F should take 25 to 30 minutes. (Watch carefully after candy mixture reaches 280 degrees F to prevent scorching.) Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the chopped almonds. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy small saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat; spread half of the melted chocolate over toffee. Sprinkle with half of the remaining almonds. Place in refrigerator for a few minutes to allow chocolate to harden.
- Turn candy out of pan. Remove foil. Spread second side with remaining melted chocolate; sprinkle with remaining almonds. Chill in refrigerator for a few minutes or until chocolate is set. Break into pieces. Store tightly covered up to 2 weeks. Makes about 2-1/2 pounds (60 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Using a 9x9x2-inch baking pan gives a very thick toffee (about 3/4 inch thick). If you prefer a slightly thinner toffee, use a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; spread melted chocolate and sprinkle remaining almonds on only one side.
Nutrition Facts (English Toffee)
- Per serving:
- 115 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 70 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 1 g pro.