Recipes and Cooking Candied Ginger-and-Orange Icebox Cookies 5.0 (1) By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on September 27, 2012 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 30 mins Chill Time: 4 hrs Bake Time: 8 mins Total Time: 4 hrs 38 mins Yield: 70 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup butter, softened ¾ cup granulated sugar 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder ⅛ teaspoon salt 1 egg 2 cup all-purpose flour ⅓ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger 4 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel ¾ cup coarse white decorating sugar Directions In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour, crystallized ginger, and orange peel (mixture will be crumbly). Use your hands to knead the mixture until it comes together. Divide dough into three portions. Shape each portion into about a 7-inch roll. Spread decorating sugar on waxed paper. Roll rolls in decorating sugar to coat. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 4 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle each slice with some of the remaining decorating sugar. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire racks; cool. To Store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 46 Calories 1g Fat 8g Carbs Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 46 % Daily Value * Total Fat 1g 1% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 6mg 2% Sodium 25mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 8g 3% Total Sugars 4g Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 0.4mg 2% Potassium 19mg 0% Folate, total 8.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.