Candied Bacon-Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside. Line 2 shallow baking pans with foil. Cut 6 of the slices of bacon crosswise into fourths. Place all the bacon on prepared baking pans; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar (reserve remaining cinnamon-sugar). Bake 12 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside the quarter pieces of bacon; crumble remaining bacon slices.
- Decrease oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Stir together flour, baking powder, the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Gradually add the 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium until combined. Scrape bowl; beat 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes and vanilla. Add flour mixture and crumbled bacon; beat until combined (batter will be thick).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan for 1 minute. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Pipe or spread Bourbon-Cream Cheese Frosting on cupcakes. Sprinkle cupcakes with reserved cinnamon-sugar and top with quarter pieces of bacon.
From the Test Kitchen
Place unfrosted cupcakes in a single layer in an airtight container; seal. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw cupcakes at room temperature before frosting.
Bourbon-Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in bourbon. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Candied Bacon-Sweet Potato Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 519 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 680 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 54 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.