Camarrones a la Crema
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse shrimp; pat dry. In a medium bowl combine shrimp, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; toss to coat.
- In an extra-large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add shrimp; cook for 5 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a clean bowl; set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the hot skillet; cook for 2 minutes. Add the poblano and jalapeno chile peppers and another 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sweet peppers. Cover and cook about 8 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in crema and cooked shrimp, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until crema is slightly thickened. Stir in cilantro. Season to taste with additional kosher salt.
- Serve with Mexican Green Rice or Mexican Red Rice.
From the Test Kitchen
Pollo a la Crema (Chicken in Cream Sauce):
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips, for the shrimp.
Nutrition facts per serving: 430 calories, 30 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 7 g total sugar, 47% Vitamin A, 153% Vitamin C, 812 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 14% iron
Nutrition Facts (Camarrones a la Crema)
- Per serving:
- 386 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 184 mg chol. ,
- 824 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.