Calico Blue Corn Bread
- Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, 4 Tbsp. of the oil, and the honey. Stir in corn and jalapeno pepper.
- In a medium bowl stir together next five ingredients (through baking soda). Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Remove hot skillet from oven. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil, swirling to coat. Spread batter into prepared skillet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Blue cornmeal is made from whole blue corn and is most popular in the Southwest. Look for blue cornmeal in the baking aisle at the grocery store or Mexican market. Bob's Red Mill and Anson Mills brands both carry blue cornmeal.
Substitute yellow cornmeal for the blue cornmeal.
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Calico Blue Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 120 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 24 mg chol. ,
- 212 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.