Caldo de Res
- Sprinkle Achiote Seasoning evenly over short ribs; rub in with your fingers. In a large saucepan brown short ribs, half at a time, in hot oil. Remove short ribs from saucepan. Add onion and garlic to the drippings in saucepan; cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
- If using sherry, remove saucepan from heat. Carefully add sherry. Return to heat. (If not using sherry, continue to step 3.) Cook and stir until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Return meat to saucepan. Add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and chile pepper to saucepan. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables and short ribs are tender. If desired, skim off excess fat.
- Stir tomatoes and cilantro into short rib mixture in saucepan. Heat through. Serve with olives and lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
If not using sherry, skip Step 2.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts (Caldo de Res)
- Per serving:
- 214 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 685 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.