Towering Praline Carrot Cake
- Grease and lightly flour three 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. In a covered medium saucepan cook carrots in a moderate amount of boiling water about 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Cool carrots slightly; coarsely mash with a potato masher.
- In a very large bowl stir together flour, sugar, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add oil, eggs, pineapple, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until all ingredients are combined. Fold in mashed carrots, pecans, and coconut.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks. While layers are cooling, prepare Cream Cheese Frosting; beat or stir remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon into frosting.
- To assemble, place one cake layer, top side up, on a cake plate. Using about 1 cup of the frosting, pipe or spoon a rim about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch high around outer edge of layer. Spoon about 2 tablespoons frosting into center, leaving an unfrosted ring. Spread about half of the Praline Sauce into the unfrosted ring (sauce will not fill ring). Add second cake, top side up; repeat frosting and filling steps using another 1 cup of the frosting and remaining Praline Sauce.
- Add third cake layer, top side up. Frost top and side with remaining frosting. If desired, garnish with additional chopped pecans. Cover; store in refrigerator.
- To serve, let refrigerated cake stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Or thaw frozen cake, covered, in refrigerator overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.)
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Towering Praline Carrot Cake as directed through Step 5, assembling cake on the base of a cake container with a tight-fitting lid or one a baking sheet. Do not garnish with pecans. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. (Or freeze just until frosting is firm. Cover with container lid or moisture- and vaporproof wrap. Freeze up to 1 week.)
- In small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and whipping cream. Bring to full boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla. Cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. (This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch layers. Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9x2-inch cake.) Cover and store the frosted cake in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Towering Praline Carrot Cake)
- Per serving:
- 918 kcal ,
- 49 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 145 mg chol. ,
- 546 mg sodium ,
- 116 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.
1/4 Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
1/2 Cup Pecan Halves
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease 8x8x2 baking pan. In a small bowl combine brown sugar and orange juice. Add pecan halves, stirring to coat.
Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until nuts are browned and syrup is bubbly, stirring once. Pour into second lightly greased baking sheet separating into single nuts. Cool on wire rack. Use as topping for TOWERING PRALINE CARROT CAKE WITH CANDIED PECANS. Makes 1/2 cup nuts.
This is a delicious cake. When made correctly it is often mistaken for a bakery bought professionally made cake.