Sweet Potato Shortcakes
- Grease a large baking sheet. Set aside. Chill a medium mixing bowl and the beaters of an electric mixer.
- Drain sweet potatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Mash enough of the sweet potatoes to make 1/2 cup. (Cover and refrigerate any remaining sweet potatoes and syrup to heat later as a side dish.)
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the mashed sweet potatoes, the reserved syrup, the milk, and melted margarine or butter. Sprinkle the biscuit mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, and cinnamon over sweet potato mixture; stir just until dough clings together. (The dough might have some lumps and should be thick.)
- Drop dough onto the prepared baking sheet in 8 equal portions. Bake in a 425 degree F oven about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine fresh berries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. Set aside. In the chilled mixing bowl beat the whipped cream and the 2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- To serve, split each shortcake in half crosswise; place bottom halves on 8 dessert plates. Top with some of the berries and some of the whipped cream. Place a shortcake top on each serving. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Use reduced-fat packaged biscuit mix and frozen light whipped dessert topping (thawed).
Nutrition facts for Lower-Fat Version:
297 calories, 8 g total fat, (3 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, and 4 g protein.
If desired, slice the strawberries.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato Shortcakes)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 42 mg chol. ,
- 704 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 6 g pro.