Strawberry Shortcake with Cream Cheese Sauce
- Grease a baking sheet. Set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the strawberries and, if desired, the 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside.
- For dough, in a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Cut in the margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk or sour milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Drop dough into 2 mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Split shortcakes into 2 layers. Place bottom layers into 2 individual bowls. Spoon some of the strawberries and Cream Cheese Sauce or whipped cream over the bottom layers. Add top layers. Spoon more strawberries and the remaining Cream Cheese Sauce or whipped cream over tops. Serve immediately. Pass any remaining berries. Makes 2 shortcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
In the spring or early summer, dish up this luscious dessert after a meal of grilled steaks, whole tiny new potatoes, and crisp lettuce salads.
Cream Cheese Sauce
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl stir together the sour cream, soft-style cream cheese, and sugar until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry Shortcake with Cream Cheese Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 395 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 29 mg chol. ,
- 407 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 7 g pro.