Gingered Carrot Cake
- Combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Combine eggs, carrot, oil, dried fruit, and ginger. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x1-1/2-inch* round baking pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Beat together cream cheese, margarine or butter, and apricot brandy or orange juice. Gradually beat in enough of the powdered sugar to make frosting easy to spread. Stir in orange peel.
- Frost the top of 1 cake layer with cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining layer. Frost the top and sides. Press nuts on sides of the cake, if desired. Store cake in the refrigerator. Makes 12 to 15 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Your 9-inch round cake pans need to be at least 1-1/2 inches deep or the batter may flow over the sides of the pans when baking.
You also can use one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake about 40 minutes or until done. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (you may have a little left over).
Up to 1 day ahead, make, bake, cool, and frost cake. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (Gingered Carrot Cake)
- Per serving:
- 581 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 87 mg chol. ,
- 282 mg sodium ,
- 79 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 6 g pro.