Fig-Apricot Almond Torte
- Separate eggs. Grease the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan; sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon matzo meal.
- In a large food processor bowl or blender container combine figs and apricots. Cover; process or blend until finely chopped. Add ground almonds, the 2/3 cup matzo meal, orange peel, and cinnamon. Cover; process or blend until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on low speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating about 5 minutes more or until very thick. Stir in fig-apricot mixture.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In another large mixing bowl beat egg whites at low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Stir about 1/3 of the egg whites into the fig mixture. Fold the fig mixture into remaining whites. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan; cool completely.
- If desired, in a small pan heat preserves until melted. Brush atop cooled torte. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with sliced dried apricots, if desired. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 cup ground almonds, place 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds in a food processor bowl. Cover; process just until finely ground.
Nutrition Facts (Fig-Apricot Almond Torte)
- Per serving:
- 498 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 160 mg chol. ,
- 94 g carb. ,
- 11 g fiber ,
- 12 g pro.