Devil's Food Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add the dry mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan(s), spreading evenly. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pan on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.
- For glaze, in a heavy saucepan combine chocolate and margarine or butter over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate begins to melt. Immediately remove from heat; stir until smooth. Set aside. In another saucepan stir together whipping cream and corn syrup. Bring mixture to gentle boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- For frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and cocoa powder, beating well. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar until smooth. If necessary, beat in enough milk to reach spreading consistency.
- Fill and frost cake layers with frosting or spread frosting over top of the 13x9-inch cake, reserving 1 cup of the frosting to make chocolate "drops." Place glaze in a heavy resealable plastic bag; snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. Pipe glaze in crisscross lines on top of cake. Spoon the reserved frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe chocolate "drops" around base or edges of cake. Cover and chill to store. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Devil's Food Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four to thirty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Prepare batter as directed. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one-half to two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks. Spread cupcakes with frosting, reserving 1 cup of the frosting to make chocolate "drops." Pipe glaze in crisscross lines over frosted cupcakes; pipe chocolate "drops" of frosting around edges of cupcakes. Makes 24 to 30 cupcakes.
Nutrition per serving: 357 calories, 3 g protein, 54 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 43 g total sugar, 7% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 189 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 7% iron
Nutrition Facts (Devil's Food Cake)
- Per serving:
- 707 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 104 mg chol. ,
- 359 mg sodium ,
- 107 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.