Chocolate-Almond Ice Cream Roll with Raspberry Sauce
- Grease and flour a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating on medium speed about 5 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved. Thoroughly wash beaters.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold yolk mixture into egg white mixture. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently, just until combined. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan; turn out onto a towel sprinkled with sifted powdered sugar. Starting with a narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake. Spread softened ice cream on cake to within 1 inch of edges. Reroll cake without towel. Wrap and freeze at least 4 hours before serving. To serve, drizzle Raspberry Sauce over serving plates. Slice cake and place on plates. If desired, garnish with fresh raspberries and fresh mint. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Make this dessert up to 2 weeks in advance and store it tightly wrapped in the freezer.
- In a small saucepan combine seedless raspberry preserves,lemon juice, and almond extract. Cook and stir just until melted. Cool slightly.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Almond Ice Cream Roll with Raspberry Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 116 mg chol. ,
- 138 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 5 g pro.