Almond-Orange Chiffon Cake
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, ground almonds, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center. Add cooking oil, egg yolks, orange juice, and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until satin smooth. Fold in orange peel. Set aside.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a very large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Pour batter in a thin stream over egg whites; gently fold together.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan; spread evenly. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 60 to 65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan. Cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove from pan.
- Cut the cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with about 1 cup of the Orange Whipped Cream Frosting. Top with the second layer and 1 cup of the frosting. Add top layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle top with toasted almonds. Cover and store in the refrigerator; use within 2 days. Makes 16 servings.
- Wrap it in a 2-gallon freezer bag and store it in the freezer. Before serving, thaw it for 3 hours; fill and frost.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 3 months ahead, bake and cool the cake. Freeze it, unfrosted, on a baking sheet until firm. Wrap it in a 2-gallon freezer bag and store it in the freezer. Before serving, thaw it for 3 hours; fill and frost.
Orange Whipped Cream Frosting
- In a glass measuring cup combine cold water and unflavored gelatin. Let stand 2 minutes. In a saucepan bring about 2 inches water to boiling. Place measuring cup in saucepan. Heat and stir until gelatin is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove cup from saucepan; cool slightly. In a mixing bowl beat whipping cream, sifted powdered sugar, and orange liqueur (if desired), with an electric mixer on medium speed while gradually drizzling the gelatin over the cream mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form (peaks stand straight). Fold in finely shredded orange peel.
Nutrition Facts (Almond-Orange Chiffon Cake)
- Per serving:
- 447 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 154 mg chol. ,
- 146 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.