Pecan Ice-Cream Roll
- Grease and flour a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on medium speed about 5 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved. Thoroughly wash beaters.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold yolk mixture into the egg white mixture. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently, just until combined. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan; turn out onto a clean dish towel sprinkled with sifted powdered sugar. Starting with a narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll the cake. Spread softened ice cream onto cake to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with pecans. Reroll cake without towel. Wrap and freeze at least 4 hours before serving. To serve, if desired, drizzle Raspberry Sauce over the serving plates. Slice the cake; place on plates. If desired, garnish with raspberries and mint. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above. Wrap tightly. Store in freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- In a small saucepan combine 2/3 cup seedless raspberry spreadable fruit, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Cook and stir just until melted. Cool slightly.
Nutrition Facts (Pecan Ice-Cream Roll)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 85 mg chol. ,
- 171 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 6 g pro.