Caesar Salad with Parmesan Croutons
- For dressing, in a blender combine the 3 garlic cloves, the 3 anchovy fillets, and lemon juice. Cover and blend until mixture is nearly smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add oil, mustard, sugar, and cooked egg yolk. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Use immediately or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- To serve, rub inside of a wooden salad bowl with cut edges of halved garlic clove; discard garlic clove. Add romaine and croutons to bowl. Pour dressing over salad.; toss lightly to coat. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top; toss gently. Add anchovy fillets, if desired. To serve, divide salad among salad plates; sprinkle pepper over each salad.
From the Test Kitchen
Chicken Caesar Salad:
Prepare as above, except add 2 cups chopped cooked chicken with the romaine. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:350 cal., 15 g total fat (9 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 104 mg chol., 402 mg sodium, 15 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 20 g pro.
Exchanges: .5 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 2.5 Very Lean Meat, 3 Fat
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes (you should have about 3-1/2 cups); set aside. In a small saucepan melt butter. Remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in Parmesan cheese and garlic. Add bread cubes, stirring until cubes are coated with butter mixture. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in a shallow baking pan or on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes; stir. Bake about 10 minutes more or until bread cubes are crisp and golden. Cool completely; store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Caesar Salad with Parmesan Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 261 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 362 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.