- Place a large wire cooling rack over a sheet of foil. Place pretzels evenly spaced on cooling rack.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl microwave butterscotch pieces and the 1 tablespoon shortening, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until butterscotch pieces melt, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Place each marshmallow half into melted butterscotch mixture. Using a fork, remove marshmallow from melted butterscotch mixture and let excess drip off. Using the tines of another fork, push the coated marshmallow half onto a pretzel.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave chocolate candy coating and the 3 tablespoons shortening, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until candy coating melts, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon melted chocolate mixture over each marshmallow. Let excess drip down sides of marshmallow. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand about 30 minutes or until coating is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Butterscotch-Mallow Chews)
- Per serving:
- 182 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 20 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.