- In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
- In another medium bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Gently fold in banana.
- Add batter to a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker according to the manufacturer's directions (use a regular or Belgian waffle baker). Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to the manufacturer's directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with the remaining batter. Cool waffles completely.
- Place waffles in a single layer on baking sheets and freeze for 1 to 2 hours or until firm. Transfer to a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To serve, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place frozen waffles on a baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until warm and crisp.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 2 cups sour milk, place 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Buttermilk-Banana Waffles)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 197 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.