Burger au Poivre with Mushroom-Merlot Gravy
- Shape beef into six 3/4-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle one side of each patty with coarsely ground black pepper, gently pressing pepper into meat. Cover; chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; add mushrooms. Cook without stirring for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Stir in shallots and garlic; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more. Sprinkle with flour, stirring to coat.
- Add wine; stir to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until nearly dry. Stir in broth and thyme. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; carefully add Cognac and butter. Return to heat; stir until butter is melted. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Keep warm.
- Season patties with salt. For a charcoal or gas grill, grill patties on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 14 to 18 minutes or until done (160 degrees F to 165 degrees F),* turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, place arugula on bun bottoms. Top with patties and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Add bun tops.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
The internal color of a burger is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef, veal, lamb, or pork patty cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a patty, insert an instant-read thermometer through the side of the patty to a depth of 2 to 3 inches.
Nutrition Facts (Burger au Poivre with Mushroom-Merlot Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 699 kcal ,
- 46 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 21 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 126 mg chol. ,
- 629 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.