Buckwheat-Edamame Falafel Pitas
- In a very large dry nonstick skillet toast buckwheat groats over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant, shaking skillet occasionally. Transfer toasted groats to a small saucepan; set skillet aside.
- Add water to pan with groats. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until groats are tender and liquid is absorbed. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor or blender combine edamame, carrot, flour, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pulse with several on/off turns until mixture is coarsely chopped and beginning to hold together. Add cooked groats. Pulse a few more times to combine.
- Shape mixture into six 3 1/2-inch oval patties. In the extra-large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add patties. Cook about 6 minutes or until brown and heated through, turning once.
- Fill warm pita halves evely with patties, spinach, tomato slices, red onion, and Tzatziki sauce. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
*To Warm Pita Bread Rounds:
Wrap the pita bread rounds in foil. Heat in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
- Peel and seed cucumber. Coarsely shred cucumber and place in a colander set over a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Using a large spoon or a rubber scraper, press out excess liquid.
- In a small bowl combine drained cucumber, yogurt, dill weed, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve or up to 2 days.
Nutrition Facts (Buckwheat-Edamame Falafel Pitas)
- Per serving:
- 259 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 469 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.