Brussels Sprouts and Spicy Fennel Sausage Pizza
- Prepare Easy Pizza Dough. While dough is rising, prepare sausage.
- For sausage, in a large bowl combine pork, fennel seeds, salt, and crushed red pepper. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drop 1/2-inch pieces of meat mixture into the hot skillet. Cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; drain off fat. Set sausage aside.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Meanwhile, trim bottoms from Brussels sprouts and remove any browned outer leaves. Thinly slice Brussels sprouts.
- Place dough on a well-oiled 17x13-inch baking pan or a 14-inch pizza pan. Press and stretch the dough to the edges of the pan. Let dough rest 5 minutes. If necessary, stretch dough again to cover pan.
- Bake on lowest oven rack 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven. Top with cheese, sausage, Brussels sprouts, onion, and garlic. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. oil. Bake 10 to 12 minutes more or until edges are crisp and toppings are browned, turning pan once to ensure even browning. If desired, drizzle with additional olive oil before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Sausage can be made ahead and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Easy Pizza Dough
- In a small bowl stir together warm water and yeast. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the bread flour, the olive oil, salt, and the yeast mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead in enough flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease dough surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 2 hours). Punch down dough; let rest for 10 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Brussels Sprouts and Spicy Fennel Sausage Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 500 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 64 mg chol. ,
- 722 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.