- In a medium saucepan heat and stir butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat until smooth; set aside to cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, leaving about 1 inch of the foil extending over the ends of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.
- Stir the sugar into the cooled chocolate mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating with a wooden spoon just until combined. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl stir together the flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. If desired, stir in nuts. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. If desired, spread Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting over cooled brownies. Remove brownies from pan, using the overlapping foil to lift brownies. Place on cutting board; cut into brownies.
From the Test Kitchen
Rocky Road Brownies:
Sprinkle frosted brownies with 3/4 cup tiny marshmallows and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
When preparing brownies, stir in 1/2 teaspoon mint extract with the vanilla. Sprinkle frosted brownies with 1 cup chopped layered chocolate-mint candies.
Spread 2/3 cup raspberry preserves evenly over cooled brownies; cool. Frost as directed. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
When preparing brownies, add 1/4 cup malted milk powder with the flour. Frost as directed and sprinkle with 1/2 cup coarsely chopped malted milk balls.
When preparing brownies, dissolve 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder in 2 teaspoons hot water. Add coffee mixture and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the eggs. Prepare frosting as directed, except stir 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder into the melted chocolate mixture. Sprinkle frosted brownies with coarsely chopped chocolate-covered coffee beans.
Peanut Butter Brownies:
When preparing brownies, fold 3/4 cup chopped bite-size chocolate-covered peanut butter cups into the batter. Sprinkle frosted brownies with 1/2 cup chopped bite-size chocolate-covered peanut butter cups.
When preparing brownies, use pecans as the nuts. In a microwave-safe bowl microwave 3/4 cup vanilla caramels (16 to 18 caramels) and 1 tablespoon milk on 100% power (high) about 1 minute or until melted, stirring once. Drizzle melted caramel over the batter. Bake and cool as directed. If desired, frost and/or drizzle brownies with additional melted caramel.
When preparing brownies, use almonds as the nuts. Sprinkle frosted brownies with 1/2 cup chopped soft coconut macaroon cookies.
Prepare, cool, and frost brownies as directed. In a small bowl toss together 1/3 cup sliced fresh strawberries and 1/3 cup sliced banana. Sprinkle fruit and 1/4 cup chopped peanuts over brownies. Top servings with whipped cream and, if desired, additional fruit and nuts.
When preparing brownies, fold 3/4 cup white chocolate baking pieces into the batter. If desired, sprinkle frosted brownies with assorted chocolate curls and/or shavings.
Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a small saucepan heat and stir chocolate pieces over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; let cool. In a medium bowl stir together cream cheese and powdered sugar. Stir in melted chocolate until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Fudgy Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 157 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 90 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.