Brownie Waffles a la Mode
- In a chilled large bowl combine ice cream and 1/2 cup peppermint candies. Stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Cover and freeze about 8 hours or until firm.
- In a small saucepan cook and stir butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat until melted. Cool.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. In a small bowl combine eggs, sugar, half-and-half, vanilla, espresso powder (if desired), and melted chocolate mixture. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Preheat a 7 1/2-inch round waffle baker; lightly coat surface with cooking spray. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup batter onto grids of preheated waffle baker. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake about 1 minute or until waffles are cooked through. (Waffles will not be crisp; do not overcook). When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Separate waffles into quarters. Serve waffle sections and ice cream in dessert bowls. Drizzle with ice cream topping and, if desired, sprinkle with additional peppermint candies.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 4. Freeze ice cream for up to 1 month. Place baked and cooled waffles in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw waffles if frozen. Continue as directed in Step 5.
Nutrition Facts (Brownie Waffles a la Mode )
- Per serving:
- 396 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 113 mg chol. ,
- 313 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 35 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.