Brown Sugar-Almond Toffee Rounds
- In a large bowl beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour, the toffee pieces, and almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 10-inch roll. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 6 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and light brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool. If desired, spoon Browned Butter Icing over cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer un-iced cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months
Browned Butter Icing
- In a small saucepan heat butter over medium heat until butter turns the color of light brown sugar, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Slowly beat in powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make an icing of drizzling consistency. Makes 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Brown Sugar-Almond Toffee Rounds)
- Per serving:
- 77 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 34 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.