Broccoli Rabe, Garlic, and Mushroom Pizza with Golden Raisins
- Place a baking stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. If you don't have a baking stone, use a large inverted baking sheet placed on an oven rack.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add broccoli rabe to boiling water; cook for 4 minutes. Using tongs, remove broccoli rabe from the boiling water and quickly plunge it into a bowl of ice water to cool it and stop the cooking process. Transfer broccoli rabe to a colander set in sink; drain well. Chop broccoli rabe into bite-size pieces. Set aside. (This can be done up to 24 hours ahead and stored in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator.)
- In a small bowl pour enough hot water over raisins to cover; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat oil over low heat. Add garlic; cook about 2 minutes or just until garlic is light golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add anchovies or olives, smashing anchovies into the oil with the back of a spoon. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper. Cook about 3 minutes or just until mushrooms are barely tender. Remove from heat; stir in broccoli rabe.
- Drain raisins in a colander set in sink, pressing to remove excess water. Add raisins to broccoli rabe mixture; toss to mix well.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon broccoli rabe mixture onto pizza crust. Drop small dollops of the ricotta cheese onto the pizza. Sprinkle with the Pecorino-Romano cheese.
- Bake on the pizza stone or inverted baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and ingredients are heated through. If desired, drizzle with a little of the reduced balsamic vinegar.
From the Test Kitchen
To make reduced balsamic vinegar, in a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to boiling. Reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- Brush a large bowl with olive oil; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook or in a food processor, combine white whole wheat flour, bread flour, yeast, the sugar (if using), and salt. With the mixer on low speed or the food processor running, add the 2 tablespoons olive oil and the honey (if using); add 1-1/4 cups of the warm water. Mix or process until all of the ingredients are combined, adding more of the warm water as needed. If using a mixer, increase the speed to medium and continue to knead about 2 minutes or until a soft dough forms. If using a food processor, continue to process until dough forms a wet ball.
- Place dough in the prepared bowl; turn once to coat dough surface. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure dough does not touch plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature (70 degrees F to 72 degrees F) for 30 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or up to 3 days. (Dough will continue to rise in bowl until nearly doubled, then will go dormant from the cold.)
- Two hours before assembling the pizzas, remove chilled dough from refrigerator. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil. Cut dough into two portions. Form each portion into a smooth round ball*. Place each ball of dough on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly coat with cooking spray or olive oil. Lightly cover with plastic wrap. Let dough stand to come to room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your lightly floured hands to stretch each ball of dough to a circle 10 to 12 inches in diameter (1/4 to 1/2-inch thick). Sprinkle a baking peel or inverted baking sheet with cornmeal; place dough circle on peel or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough portion.
- Add desired toppings. Bake according to recipe directions.
From the Test Kitchen
At this point, the dough portions can be placed in a storage container that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray or brushed with olive oil. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Or place each dough portion in a freezer bag that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray or brushed with olive oil. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Nutrition Facts (Broccoli Rabe, Garlic, and Mushroom Pizza with Golden Raisins)
- Per serving:
- 302 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 426 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.