- In a large saucepan cook desired vegetable, covered, in a large amount of boiling water as directed. Drain well. Set aside 1 cup cooked vegetables.
- In a food processor or blender combine the remaining cooked vegetables and 3/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cover and process or blend until smooth; set aside.
- In the same saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, lemon peel, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the reserved 1 cup cooked vegetables, blended vegetable mixture, remaining 3/4 cup broth, and the cheese. Cook and stir until heated through. If necessary, stir in additional milk to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. If desired, serve soup in Bread Bowls and topped with additional cheese.
- Thaw bread dough. Cut each loaf into thirds crosswise to make six total pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Arrange the dough balls on the baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 40 minutes). Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl combine egg and water; brush dough balls with some of the egg mixture. Using a sharp knife, make two or three shallow cuts across the the top of each ball. Bake for 15 minutes. Brush again with egg mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until golden and bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove and cool on a wire rack. To serve, cut a 1/2-inch slice from the top of each bread round. Scoop out bread from the center of each round, leaving a 3/4-inch shell. Fill bread bowls with hot soup; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Broccoli-Cheese Soup)
- Per serving:
- 153 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 792 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.