- For pastry, in a large bowl* stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir beaten egg into flour mixture. Using the 2 to 4 tablespoons milk, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the milk over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the milk at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls. If desired, cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll pastry into a 9x8-inch rectangle, trimming as necessary to form straight edges. Cut in half lengthwise to form two 9x4-inch rectangles; cut each in thirds crosswise to form three 4x3-inch rectangles. Repeat with the remaining pastry ball (you should have twelve 4x3-inch rectangles total).
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the jam onto each of six pastry rectangles; spread to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Moisten edges with additional milk and top with the remaining pastry rectangles; press edges together with a fork to seal. Using a floured spatula, transfer filled pastries to a baking sheet. Brush tops with additional milk; prick with the fork.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until tarts are golden. Transfer to a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle with Vanilla Icing; serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer, use a food processor to prepare the pastry. In a food processor combine flour, sugar, salt, butter, and egg. Cover and process with on/off pulses until mixture is crumbly. Using the 2 to 4 tablespoons milk, add 1 tablespoon of the milk to food processor; cover and process with on/off pulses. Repeat adding milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulsing until flour mixture forms a smooth ball. Remove from processor. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls. If desired, cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon milk, and the vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Breakfast Tarts)
- Per serving:
- 496 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 93 mg chol. ,
- 421 mg sodium ,
- 64 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.