- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the Flour, sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder, Spice (if using), baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a bowl combine eggs, Liquid, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in Stir In.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each half to two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm or cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Flour (pick one)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, processed until finely ground, and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Spice (pick one)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or apple pie spice
Liquid (pick one)
3/4 cup mashed banana
3/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup finely shredded zucchini
3/4 cup light sour cream
3/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
To make 3/4 sour milk, place 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough reduced-fat milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Stir-In (pick one)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
3/4 cup chopped fresh apple, pear, peach, or mango
1/3 cup dried fruit (blueberries; raisins; chopped cranberries or cherries; snipped dates, apricots, or figs)
all-purpose flour and unground oats, cinnamon, mashed banana, and snipped dried apricots
all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, apple pie spice, and shredded unpeeled zucchini
all-purpose flour and buckwheat flour, pumpkin pie spice, canned pumpkin, and chopped apple
Nutrition Facts (Breakfast Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 36 mg chol. ,
- 243 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.