- In a large mixing bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt; add warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 portions. Shape each portion into an oval about 5 inches long. Pull and twist ends slightly. Sprinkle cornmeal over 2 lightly greased baking sheets. Transfer rolls to baking sheets. Use a sharp knife to make a cut about 1/4 inch deep down the center of each roll.
- In a small bowl combine egg white and milk or water. Brush some of the egg white mixture over the tops and sides of rolls. Cover and let rise until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Brush again with some of the egg white mixture. Bake about 10 minutes more or until golden brown. Remove rolls from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks. Makes 12 rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake rolls as directed. Cool completely. Place rolls in a freezer container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw rolls at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Spindle Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 144 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 140 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.