Skillet Corn Bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a large ovenproof or cast-iron skillet. Preheat in oven for 5 minutes; do not heat longer or mixture may burn.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the cracked black pepper, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl blend together the milk, the 1/4 cup cooking oil or melted shortening, and the eggs. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened. (The batter will be slightly lumpy.)
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and spread with spoon. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, if desired, in a medium bowl beat the 1/2 cup softened butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds on medium speed. Add honey; beat on high speed for 1 minute more or until fluffy. To serve, immediately place a dollop of honey butter in the center of the hot corn bread; pass remaining honey butter. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Skillet Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 252 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 60 mg chol. ,
- 340 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 6 g pro.