Savory Stuffing with Fruit & Pecans
- Line a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Lightly coat liner with cooking spray; set cooker aside. In a small saucepan heat apple juice until boiling. Stir in dried fruit bits. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until needed.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook celery and onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender but not brown; remove from heat. Stir in parsley, sage, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Place dry bread cubes in a large bowl. Add undrained fruit, the vegetable mixture, and pecans. Drizzle with enough of the broth to moisten, tossing lightly. Transfer stuffing mixture to prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To prepare the 10 cups dry bread cubes, cut 14 to 16 slices of bread into 1/2-inch cubes and spread in a large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice. Or let bread stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Savory Stuffing with Fruit & Pecans)
- Per serving:
- 279 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 528 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.