Pretzel Bread Houses
- In a mixing bowl stir together 1-3/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, fennel seeds, sugar, and the 1 teaspoon salt. Add the 1-1/2 cups warm water and the oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Divide in half. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Lightly grease baking sheets; set aside.
- Roll each dough half to a 13-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3-1/2x3-1/2-inch house-shape cookie cutter or desired cutter, cut 12 shapes from each square.* Arrange cutouts on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. In a small bowl combine egg white and the 1 tablespoon water. Brush each cutout with egg white mixture and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool on wire racks. Serve with Herbed Dijon, Ball Park, or Horseradish Mustards. Makes 24 pretzels.
From the Test Kitchen
Gather dough scraps and gently pull dough to shape into a ball. Cover and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out additional houses as above. Or, divide ball into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-inch-long rope. Shape each rope into a pretzel by crossing one rope end over the other about 4 inches from each end, forming a circle. Twist once. Bring ends up and over the top of the circle. Press ends just under the top of circle to seal. Brush, sprinkle, and bake as above.
Ball Park Mustard
- In a small bowl stir together yellow mustard and brown sugar. Stir in chopped peanuts just before serving. Makes about 1 cup.
Herbed Dijon Mustard
- In a small bowl stir together Dijon-style mustard, packed brown sugar, dry white wine, and fresh marjoram. Makes about 1 cup.
Horseradish Honey Mustard
- In a small bowl stir together honey mustard and horseradish sauce. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Pretzel Bread Houses)
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 117 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.