- Line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or twelve 3-1/4-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In small saucepan, combine water and apricots. For spice bag, place orange pieces, cinnamon, and whole cloves on a double-thick, 6-inch square of 100% cotton cheesecloth. Bring corners together and tie with clean kitchen string. Add bag to saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 5 minutes. Drain. Remove spice bag; discard. Cool apricots slightly. Chop apricots; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine buttermilk, oats, melted butter, and eggs. Cover; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- Stir chopped apricots into buttermilk mixture. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 22 to 25 minutes (for 2-1/2-inch cups) or 25 to 28 minutes (for 3-1/4-inch cups). Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Serve warm. Makes 24 (2-1/2-inch muffins) or 12 (3-1/4-inch muffins).
- Nutrition facts are for one 2 1/2-inch muffin.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 1-1/2 cups sour milk, place 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1-1/2 cups total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
Nutrition Facts (Oatmeal-Apricot Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 161 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 35 mg chol. ,
- 184 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.