Boston Brown Bread
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flours, cornmeal, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir in buttermilk, molasses, egg white, and oil just until blended. Stir in raisins.
- Spray a 4- or 4-1/2-cup ovenproof mold or bowl, or a 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray coating. Pour batter into mold or pan. Cover tightly with foil.
- Place mold or pan on a rack set in a large Dutch oven*. Pour hot water into Dutch oven around the mold or pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bring water to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Add boiling water to the Dutch oven as needed.
- Remove mold from Dutch oven. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan. Serve warm. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, bake the bread. Do not cover mold or pan with foil and bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Boston Brown Bread)
- Per serving:
- 70 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 98 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 2 g pro.