Brandied Sour Cherry and Pear Pie
- Peel, halve, and core pears. Cut pears into a 1/4-inch dice, then combine with cherries, brandy, sugar, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup water in a heavy 3-qt. pot. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Transfer filling to a shallow dish; cool and chill. Before serving, spoon filling into piecrust.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and 11/2 tsp. kosher salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until butter is bean-size. Stir in 3/4 cup of the water, a few tablespoons at a time. Squeeze a small handful of dough. If dough is still crumbly, stir in the remaining water, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- For Ian's mixing method: Turn dough out in a mound on a work surface. Starting with a quarter of the mixture, smear that section of the dough with the palm of your hand, pushing away from the mound. Repeat with remaining dough sections. Gather the dough into a ball, divide into thirds, wrap in plastic wrap, and press each into a round disk. Chill 30 to 60 minutes.
- Using a floured rolling pin on a generously floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate and trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold extra dough under, even with the pie plate edge; press it together. Flute as desired. Prick the bottom and sides of dough several times with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line dough with a double thickness of foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake about 20 minutes or until sides are golden and firm. Remove weights and foil; bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until the bottom is golden. Cool completely on wire rack. Makes three 9-inch piecrusts.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't use all three of these baked crusts, freeze the extras to use later.
Nutrition Facts (Brandied Sour Cherry and Pear Pie)
- Per serving:
- 278 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 20 mg chol. ,
- 88 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.