Braised Pork Sandwiches with Berry-Basil Sauce
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. For rub, in a small bowl combine oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, dried basil, and pepper. Sprinkle rub evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
- In a medium bowl stir together preserves, blueberries, shallots, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Drain off fat. Place meat in cooker. Pour berry mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/4 hours. Remove meat from cooker, reserving cooking liquid. Cover meat loosely with foil and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine cornstarch and the water; stir in cooking liquid. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in snipped fresh basil.
- Cut meat into thin slices or, using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place meat on bottoms of buns. Spoon sauce over meat; replace tops of buns. If desired, garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Nutrition Facts (Braised Pork Sandwiches with Berry-Basil Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 732 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 121 mg chol. ,
- 875 mg sodium ,
- 83 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 49 g pro.