Braised Plum Granita
- Remove the pits and chop the plums into very small bits, saving as much of the juice as you can and retaining the skin.
- In a deep saucepan heat the plums, sugar, and cloves over medium heat, turning often to coat plums well. After about 5 minutes, slowly add the water, 1/4 cup at a time; reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and simmer another 20 minutes. If the mixture is too thick and pastelike, add additional water, 1 Tbsp. at a time. Pour the mixture into a 139-inch baking dish; cool. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove dish from freezer. With a long fork, scrape frozen surface until little pebbles form. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture gently and quickly so it doesn't melt too much; refreeze.
- Whip the cream in a bowl with a hand mixer. When it starts to thicken add sugar and beat until firm. Right before serving, repeat fork process and spoon granita into chilled glasses. Top with whipped cream.
From the Test Kitchen
Nestle a small bowl filled with the granita into a bigger bowl filled with ice so granita doesn't melt too fast, especially for a garden party.
Nutrition Facts (Braised Plum Granita)
- Per serving:
- 159 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 4 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.