Braised Mediterranean Chicken Thighs
- In a very large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add frozen chicken, bone sides up; drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook about 10 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook about 10 minutes more or until browned. Remove from skillet. Drain off any fat.
- Meanwhile, finely shred 1 teaspoon peel from one of the oranges. Squeeze juice from the orange (you should have 1/4 to 1/3 cup). Peel and section the remaining orange; set aside.
- Carefully add wine to skillet. Bring to boiling, stirring to scrape up any crusty browned bits. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until wine is reduced by half.
- Add broth, olives, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, capers, orange peel, and orange juice. Bring to boiling. Return chicken to skillet; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is done (at least 175 degrees F). Remove chicken from skillet; cover with foil and keep warm.
- For sauce, simmer wine mixture, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and reduced by half. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve chicken on top of couscous. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with orange sections and parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
To freeze, spread chicken thighs in a single layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; freeze until firm. Transfer to a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 6 months.
Nutrition Facts (Braised Mediterranean Chicken Thighs)
- Per serving:
- 583 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 131 mg chol. ,
- 586 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.