Slow Cooker Bouillabaisse
- Core and finely chop fennel, reserving leaves If desired. Snip leaves; wrap and chill until needed. Cut baby carrots in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine fennel, carrots, broth, tomatoes, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, salt, lemon peel, and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, thaw fish and shrimp or scallops, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse fish and shrimp or scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Cover and chill until needed.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in fish, shrimp or scallops, and saffron. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and shrimp or scallops are opaque.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with Cracked Black Pepper Croutons and, if desired, the reserved fennel leaves.
Cracked Black Pepper Croutons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with pepper and, if desired, salt. Toss to combine. Spread cubes into prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden, stirring once or twice. Cool in pan on wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Make Ahead Tip:
Prepare and bake the Black Pepper Croutons up to 2 days ahead of time. Place in a container with a tight-fitting lid and store at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Bouillabaisse)
- Per serving:
- 344 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 102 mg chol. ,
- 1165 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.